Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Book Review : Possession

Book: Possession
Author: Elana Johnson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Date Published: June 7, 2011
Pages: 416
Source: GalleyGrab
Date Read: May 21, 2011

Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
I have talked and talked and talked to others about this book, and yet I still don't know how I feel about it. So I will just write you the four notes I took while reading and explain them:

ONE   "No explanation of the world yet, but reminds me of Uglies series.... I like how she doesn't care about getting in trouble"

So this note came after the first couple of pages where I still wasn't getting what the world was about. What is this dystopian book about? What is the government limiting or controlling? I had lots of questions like this in the beginning because it pretty much jumps into the action. I actually really liked that about the story, it moved really quickly and a lot of things happened over the course of the book. I can see many authors even dividing the book into two or three parts with how much is learned and how many things happen.

Second part consists of Vi and her badass-ness. Love those type of female leads.

TWO "Contradictions: a land called freedom, bad, and good"

So it seems like this book is alot about labels and how they never really encopass things completely. Freedom wasn't free. Badies weren't all bad. Goodies aren't all good.

THREE "I'm not understanding this, but enjoying the ride."

So this is where I sort of drop from LOVED it to REALLY LIKED IT. The book jumps alot, from one train of thought to another, from on action to another, from one scene to another. Transitions where weird, trains of thoughts where hard to follow and at one point I was COMPLETELY lost. However, that didn't stop me from reading. Not once.

FOUR "Jag"
Simple as that note is, it holds a lot of power with me. I loved loved loved Jag and his relationship with Vi. They really got one another, and I love how their story grew. 
SPOILER-ISH SIDE NOTE (highlight to read): There is no note for this last part but I want to warn before you go into the story... the ending is shocking, and there is no sequel planned. And while I don't need all my endings to be cookie cutter happy, I really wish this one could have been. But I get it, you don't always win.
My Review in a Tweet: I love the idea of this book more than the execution, still I could not put it down. You could say I was Possessed.
Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 3/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5

Similar Titles:
MatchedDeliriumUglies (The Uglies)
Other Reviews:

8 comments:

Farrah Penn said...

I'm glad you liked it. I was seriously confused most of the time. It got to the point where it was super frustrating. I did like Jag, though. The ending...not so much. 

Ashley said...

I love the layout of this review! It seriously makes me happy! :) I keep seeing this one around and it really doesn't appeal to me the way most dytopian titles do. Not sure what it is but... Hmm Maybe I'll give it a try, but then again, maybe not.

Yani said...

I know what you mean, I only read it because it was a galleygrab, but I ended up enjoying the male character and the romance, and the format came from that same feeling of I liked it but not as much as I wanted to, so I took my notes and expanded on it =)

Yani said...

Yea, I can't believe there is no sequel!

Bookish Brunette said...

LOL! As you know... THIS IS EXACTLY how I felt!!! But you said it so much better!

Jeff Rivera said...

Thanks for the review, seen this book as well and has second thoughts about it at first. I'll try to read this when i get the chance and probably recommend it to some of my friends, thanks again!

Katelyn's Blog said...

I <3 your reviews, I really do. Although I may not show my love enough through comments (which I am working on!), they make me smile. This book sounds interesting that's for sure. I get confused super easily so it may be a little difficult for me but I still think I will try and read this book!

Yani said...

WOW thanks so much for the sweet comment! Seriously made my day =D

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...