Thursday, June 16, 2011

Book Review : The Vespertine

Book: The Vespertine
Author: Saundra Mitchell
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Date Published: March 7, 2011
Pages: 293
Source: Galley
Date Read: May 7, 2011


It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
I am a fan of historical romantic fiction, so I expected to really like this book. I didn't. Don't get me wrong, the premise was intriguing and the male lead was -like all good male leads- swoon-worthy, but I just didn't click with it.

This is going to sound a lot like complaining, but first I will tell you the things I didn't like:
  1. the old style writing - this usually doesn't bother me but mixed in with the paranormal (or is mythical?) aspects, I didn't know what was up and what as as down, what was real and what wasn't. I had to reread a lot of parts over and over again.
  2. Chapter 1 is really like a prologue, and then I realized that its jumping from past to present. Combined with what I wrote as #1, this led to more confusion.
  3. Very slow to pick up, I swear I almost dropped (stopped reading) the book like three times before things finally started happening.
What might have saved the book:
  1. The last 1/4 of the book picked up quickly and the plot thickened as you would say and that is when I finally got hooked into the story.
  2. Nathaniel - so intriguing and dark, and he has special gifts!
 Throughout the book there where many things I liked as well, but I feel like my confusion didn't allow me to love the book as I should. With such a different background and the historical aspect this should have been a Epic read for me, instead it just good. Still I probably will pick up the sequel, though I won't be knocking down doors to get it.
Ratings:
Plot: 3/5
Writing Style: 3/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 4/5

Similar Titles:
none ?

Memorable Quotes:

2 comments:

The Lovely getaway said...

I'll be honest, I've been on the fence about this read. idk why... maybe this book is just not for me. I tend to agree with pretty much all your reviews, so I think I'll be skipping THE VESPERTINE, for now. Thanks for posting your honest thoughts!

Diana

Jacinda @ Reading Housewives said...

I remember loving that quote! :) 

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...