Monday, June 13, 2011

Book Review : Die For Me

Book: Die for Me
Author: Amy Plum
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date Published: May 10, 2011
Pages: 352
Source: NetGalley
Date Read: May 30, 2011

In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again.

In this incandescent debut, newcomer Amy Plum has created a powerful paranormal mythology with immortal revenants. The Paris setting comes enchantingly alive as a relentless struggle between good and evil takes place in its streets. Rich with romance, atmosphere, and thrills, Die for Me will leave readers breathlessly awaiting its sequel.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
I was really excited to read this book because I read so many adoring reviews of it, and maybe it was because I was expecting so much from it, but I was underwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong there was a lot of things I liked, a lot, I just didn’t fall head over heels beside myself because of it.

Let me break it down for you all:

Plot - Definitely more original of the paranormal. We are introduced to revenants, who are jokingly called zombies, but not really. It is an interesting premise and I definitely excited to see what other lore will come of it in the next couple of books.

Characters - I definitely felt like these main characters have been done before, but the families of the two where the highlight of the books for me. I loved Kate’s sister and grandparents and the whole revenant gang. But Kate and Vincent felt too Bella and Edward (see side note).

Romance/Swoonworthiness - Points for making the heroine actually think about what she was stepping into before she gets into a relationship with a “dangerous” guy. Also, despite feeling the eerily similar personalities, Vincent made me swoon in his own right. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jules, even that name just makes me think sexy artist.

While it is not my favorite read of the year, Die for Me is a refreshing take on paranormal romances. It has action, love, and zombies! Not really, but you should definitely read it and give it a shot!

Side Note: I had a convo on twitter the other day about comparing books with Twilight, and while I try really hard not to do this, sometimes its impossible. This was one of those books. Whats funny is that Jasmine over at Reading Housewives of Indiana felt that Starcrossed was just like Twilight, and while I was reading that book yeah I did see some similarities, but nothing to the extent of how I felt reading Die For Me. Now I can see what she means with the book, but I think what made me feel the Twilight similarities was how similar the two main characters are to Bella and Edward. Also, with Starcrossed I was sucked into the story, and Die For Me took me a while to get into. I can go into a whole comparison about both these books and Twilight, but just wanted to do this side note as more a discussion. As you can see everyone has different feelings about them.
Ratings:
Plot: 3/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Uniqueness: 2/5
Characters: 5/5

Memorable Quotes:
none that I highlighted

Similar Titles:
Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)Starcrossed
Other Reviews:

2 comments:

Elodie said...

I can't wait to read this one .. Thanks for the review ;)

Jacinda @ Reading Housewives said...

I know what you mean with Twilight. I still don't see the similarities with Die For Me, but others do of course! I just know I loved the book! :) One of my favs! :) Great review!

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...