Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Book Review : Sometimes It Happens

Book: Sometimes It Happens
Author: Lauren Barnholdt

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Date Published: July 12, 2011
Pages: 320
Source: GalleyGrab
Date Read: May 24, 2011

On the last day of her junior year, Hannah's boyfriend Sebastian dumped her. Facing a summer of loneliness, Hannah turns to her best friend Ava for comfort. Ava does what BFFs do: she stays by Hannah's side...until it's time for Ava to head up to Maine for the summer. Also left behind is Ava's boyfriend, Noah, who's such a great guy he gets Hannah a job at the diner he waits tables at. Slowly, Hannah comes out of her funk thanks to Noah's good conversation and their fun times at the diner. But things get complicated when their friendship turns into attraction--and one night, into a passionate kiss.

The novel opens on the first day of senior year; the day Hannah is going to see Ava, Sebastian, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, everyone is paired up once again, but not the way you might think...

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
There is not much to say about Lauren Barnholdt other than she consistently writes books I love to read. Two-Way Street is one of my favorite books, and one of my favorite things about it is the writing style. Lauren's style in each of her books in different and unique, she has an awesome way of writing past and present at the same time and I love that about this book.

Yes, you know what happens right from the beginning, yes it deals with a difficult topic (cheating), but the way the story builds is amazing. I couldn't put the book down. And while Ava was a B***h at times, no one deserves to be cheated on. I liked that Hannah at times tried to rationalize the way she was feeling, or give herself excuses, but in the end she knows what right and wrong is.

I LOVED Noah, and while Hannah fell for him that summer so did I. The romance was cute, and really came from a friendship. That paired with the emotions Hannah express, makes it so I can't hate,
My Review in a Tweet: Hard not to fall in love with this story, told in past and present, Lauren's writing style always draws me in! Sometimes it Happens


Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 3/5
Characters: 5/5

Memorable Quotes:
"I grab another magazine and start to read angrily. Well, I'm not sure you can really read angrily. But you can make it clear that you're upset by sighing a lot and ruffling the pages. Which is what I'm doing now." Hannah

Similar Titles:
Playing HurtTwo-way StreetThe Unwritten RuleSomething Like Fate

Other Reviews:
Buy Sometimes it Happens by clicking HERE!
*commission received from sales goes toward amazon gift cards and buying books for giveaways!*

3 comments:

Two Readers Reviews said...

I really like her style of writing too from what I have read by her. I must say that I did love Two-Way Street, but I really didn't care for the ending. It didn't give me near enough closure for a stand alone :( I would have loved a sequel to it!

Yani said...

ahh a sequel to two way street would be awesome!! same with this book, I would want a little more closure

Tammy said...

Two Way Street is definitely one of my favorites too!

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...