Thursday, June 23, 2011

Book Review : The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Book: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (#1)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Date Published: September 27, 2011
Pages: 464
Source: ARC
Date Read: June 2, 2011

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
This was the ARC I was most excited about getting at BEA. I felt like everyone was talking about it, yet no one knew what it was about. And that just might be what I loved most about it. I went in expecting nothing, and being sucked into this giant mystery, which yes got a little crazy at points, but was so intriguing and new!

Mara Dyer's story has a little bit of everything: mystery, romance, suspense, family, mean girls, etc, etc. I was seriously sucked in, from the first pages to the last. Not that I didn't put the book down, at some points I had to, just so my brain function could return to normal. I haven't been this excited for a series in a long time.

The writing is fantastic. The scene with Noah (ahh <3) and Mara are fantastic. I never knew where the story was going, but it was one heck of a ride.

I don't want to spoil anything of the book, but if I have to say one thing I wish was a little different it would just be that if the story is in Miami (my hometown) can we have some more Hispanic representation?? Maybe the next book? Maybe a girl named Yanelys (just in case you didn't get this, that's my full name HAHA) =)
My Review in a Tweet: Exhilarating, suspenseful, magical debut by Michelle Hodkin that just may be one of my favorites this year! Who is Mara Dyer???
Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 5/5
Characters: 5/5

Memorable Quotes:
I narrowed my eyes at him. "I was warned about you, you know." And with a half-smile that wrecked me, Noah said, "But you're here anyway."

Similar Titles:
trying to think of some...

Other Reviews:

9 comments:

Jacinda @ Reading Housewives said...

AHHHH! I guess I can tell you this now, I plan on reading and the other book your loaned me in the next week! I can't wait to see what everyone is talking about! Michelle needs to add your name to be book #2!

Two Readers Reviews said...

I have been hearing how much everyone has liked this. I also keep hearing mention of how everything gets crazy after talk of alligators.....That has me WAY interested in reading it now!

Missremmers said...

This book looks absolutely fantastic! I can't wait to get my hands on it!! Awesome review!

Cynthia A. said...

lol, love your review. I hadn't read any reviews for this one yet so thank you for keeping it spoiler free. I can't wait to read it! =D

Bookish Brunette said...

You are SOOO freaking lucky! I have been DYING to get my hands on this book! <3



The Bookish
Brunette

Tara said...

I am still having trouble writing my review and I finished Mara Dyer weeks ago! I really enjoyed the book as well - thanks for the great review :)

Logan Turner said...

I keep hearing how mysterious this book is and it's driving me nuts! I want to read it so bad! Great review - really looking forward to this one (clearly). :)

Mrs. Heise said...

Right after I read Mara, I read The Liar Society - would be a good one for a similar title. Not as crazy/dark/weird, but a lighter version of similarity.

My review is here: http://goo.gl/N0DuX
Heise Reads & Recommends

Ashley said...

Glad to hear you liked this one! I'm still undecided about whether or not I want to read this book. Paranormal isn't really my thing and there seem to be general feelings of WTF floating around with all the happy. :P 

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...