Saturday, January 22, 2011

Review: Plan B

Book: Plan B (Surviving Southside)
Publisher:
Release Date: March 2011
Pages: 104
Date Read: January 22, 2011



Is this happily ever after? Lucy has her life planned out: she'll graduate and then join her boyfriend, Luke, at college in Austin. She'll become a Spanish teacher and of course they'll get married. So there's no reason to wait, right? They try to be careful. But then Lucy gets pregnant. Now, none of Lucy's options are part of her picture-perfect plan. Together, she and Luke will have to make the most difficult decision of their lives.


Yani's Analysis:
I am on the fence about this book. Yes it was short, alot of people complained about that on their goodreads review, but that is not my issue. I think books can tell a beautiful story in less than 200 pages, but it is very rare. My problem with this book was how realistic it was.

I liked Lucy, and even Luke. As characters, they portrayed lovesick teenagers very well. Simon made me remember that time of "first love." What I didn't completely believe was Luke's fast turn-around from reluctant dad to Mr Dependable. I wish she would have spent more time on the effects and the consequences of unprotected sex. I would have liked some more conversations between Lucy and Luke about how they felt, although I do think she did a good job expressing 'summarized emotions,' I would like to go deeper. I mean, the whole book has been spoiled by the summary, it was a predictable plot. And I love a good open-ended ending, but not when the story was just beginning.

Overall, I think Simon did a good job expressing the consequences of unprotected sex, even with someone you love, and she did it without sounding preachy. I just wish there was more to the story. I think this is a good read for all teens though, because it shows anyone can make such a mistake. And it is one that lives you with forever, no matter what you may choose to do after.

Ratings:
Plot: 2/5
Writing Style: 3/5
Uniqueness: 2/5
Characters: 3/5

Memorable Quotes:


1 comment:

Kiwi Ivashkov said...

Hello! This is my first time here. I found you on Google (image searching! *grin*)! Love your blog, super cute layout especially the layout!I am your newest follower!
I just read this book on NetGalley, my review and opinion of the book are slightly different, i loved the book. Although i do wish, the book went on for a little longer...

here is my review if your interested..
http://blogonlinerandom.blogspot.com/2011/01/plan-b-by-charnan-simon.html

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...