Thursday, January 6, 2011

Review: Fall for Anything

Book: Fall for Anything
Publisher: St. Martin Griffin
Pages: 224
Date Read: 1/3/2011

From Amazon:

When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?


Yani's Analysis:

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." That is what this title reminds me of. Eddie has no idea what to think after her father's suicide and she is in a very vulnerable place. Ready to believe anything that will bring her closer to the answer.

I have to say Summers didn't disappoint. I have loved all her works. I guess I am a bit of a pessimist and thought there was no way she can write another great and unique novel. And she proved me very wrong. This is probably my favorite of her novels. I enjoy her writing style. How she creates dramatic pauses with her writing, and using isolated phrases to capture a moment. I could really here Eddie's voice in my head. Some authors are so descriptive, taking up pages to describe a scene or moment, but Summers creates a picture using a minimal amount of words that is even more beautiful and provocative. You can the scene in your head, and see whats underneath the picture as well.

I loved the story progression as well. It was unpredictable in the sense that just when you thought you knew where Summers was taking it, its made a sharp left and headed into another direction. SPOILER ALERT (Highlight): I had a bad feeling about Culler, but then he would do something sweet and I would shrug it off. It was easy to see how Eddie in such a vulnerable position would do the same. I also liked that none of the male leads where perfect, and how there was a love triangle, but the story wasn't about love.

Summers is definitely one of the most realistic and beautiful contemporary authors out there. I can't wait to see what else she comes out with and I can't recommend this book enough.

Ratings:



Plot: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
 
Similar Titles:
  • Amy & Roger's Epic Detour
Memorable Quotes:
"I am always leaving, but I never go anywhere." -Eddie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...