Monday, January 31, 2011

Review: The Education of Hailey Kendrick

The Education of Hailey KendrickAuthor: Eileen Cook
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date:
Pages: 272
Source: Simon Pulse It
Date Read: 1/29/11


Hailey Kendrick always does exactly what's expected of her. She has the right friends, dates the perfect boy, gets good grades, and follows all the rules. But one night, Hailey risks everything by breaking a very big rule in a very public way...and with a very unexpected partner in crime. Hailey gets caught, but her accomplice does not, and Hailey takes the fall for both of them. 

Suddenly, Hailey's perfect life--and her reputation--are blowing up in her face. Her friends are all avoiding her. Her teachers don't trust her. Her boyfriend won't even speak to her for long enough to tell her that she's been dumped.

They say honesty is the best policy--but some secrets are worth keeping, no matter the cost. Or are they?

Yani's Analysis:
I forgot how much I like Eileen Cook's work. I have only read What would Emma Do, and I read it such a while back that I forgot how much her words got to me. Her stories are relevant/current and laugh-out-loud funny. I have so many highlighted quotes from this book, I don't know if I can share them all without telling you the whole story! I also really like how she incorporates a theme/message into the story, without spelling it out to the readers. In this book it was about appreciation and going after the things you want in life. Hailey Kendrick certainly got an education, but it wasn't your typical high school class. Hailey learned about life, and as much as you can try, you never really have full control over it.

I loved the characters in this story as well, they are so well constructed. They are neither good nor bad, they have a little bit of both. For example, Hailey is one of these girls that has everything, but doesn't realize it. Despite not having appreciation for the things she does have in life, I would never classify her as snobby or judgmental. Her boyfriend Tristan is agreeable, which isn't necessarily the worst thing a boyfriend could be, but Hailey needed someone more assertive. Without giving away too much more, I liked that despite everything Hailey did, Tristan was a good guy. Sometimes authors make old boyfriends horrible, so you have no choice but to emphasize with the main character even if her actions are wrong.

Overall this book was a very enjoyable read and makes me want to go pick up Getting Revenge on Lauren Wood, or reread What Would Emma Do. I highly recommend you do the same.

Ratings: 

Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5

Characters: 5/5

Similar Titles:

  • What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook
  • Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers (though not as intense)
Memorable Quotes:
"You say that like he's the best thing since sliced bread," I said with a laugh....
"He is the best thing since sliced bread. I bet when sliced bread talks about something cool, it uses him as the example."
and....
"Unfortunately, real life isn't a choose-your-own-adventure book where you can go back and start over if you don't like how things turned out" Hailey
one last one...

"All I'm saying is that people act like they are stuck, when the truth is that they have a choice.... If you want to be happy, then you have to make it happen." Drew
I have so many more, but I don't want to give anything away, so go read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...