Monday, January 10, 2011

Review: The Blizzard

Book: The Blizzard
Publisher: Mano Pa`ele
Pages: 188
Date Read: January 11, 2011


In Marty Martins's novel, The Blizzard, readers are taken on a journey that touches on questions of morals and ethics, and the need for parents to learn to communicate with their children. Melanie Hondel is the all-American high school student. She is popular, pretty, and attracts the attention of more than a few boys. One of them is Chet, who Melanie thinks is handsome enough, but whose determined self-reliance she has always found a bit strange and hardly romantic. When Melanie refuses the advances of a classmate, Tommy, and is beaten by him, she flees into a blizzard, where she falls through the ice. Her cries for help are heard by Chet, who is able to save her. They find refuge in an isolated cabin, where they shed their icy clothing and huddle together for warmth...in a bed. Rescuers arrive the next day, followed closely by Melanie's father, and there is confusion and anger. Mr. Hondel insists that Chet be arrested and refuses to accept his daughter's explanation, thereby leaving everyone convinced that Chet is dangerous. What ensues is an emotional and very important story about parental expectations, the decisions teenagers and young adults must make that impact their self-respect, their confidence, and their relationships with parents and community. This is a novel about coming of age, romantic love, and the importance of trust.


Jordyn's Analysis:

The Blizzard has been the most surprising book I have read in a while. At first, I wasn’t getting into it; I just didn’t click with the characters. I saw them as a throwback perfect family a la 1950’s. And I guess that was the point. That even such a tight, close family with the best intentions can have misfortunes such as the ones this family had to face.

This book reminds of the types of books I would read in school and enjoy. The writing was to the point, concise. Martins did not need superfluous language to hook you in; the story did it on its own. I loved the style of the conversations and what the characters talked about. To me it was very realistic debates on sex and relationships that I have had with my own friends, and Martins did it without sounding preachy.

Chet was probably the biggest surprise to me. At the first introduction, I believed him to be the preppy and goody goody perfect son. Then you see the sarcastic, self- confident boy who would do anything to win the heart of the girl he adores. He and Melanie are two, honest to god, good kids. My only complaint is that although the topics and issues discussed where very real and current, the characters are a little too good to be true. I would say that the Chets in this world are rare, and the men no longer tend to be respecftul and are gentlemanly like he is; and the Melanies of the world are endangered species as well.

Still, I really enjoyed this book and it was it different from the norm I am used to. I am looking forward to see what Marty Martins comes up with next.

Ratings:
Plot: 3/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Uniqueness: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Memorable Quotes:
Chet grinned back. “Can I carry your books to your locker?”
“No, thank you,” she said, then smiled the instant she saw the look of disappointment on his face. “But you can hold my hand.”

We will be hosting a interview and giveaway of the Blizzard with Marty Martins next week, so submit your questions in the comments section and we will be sure to ask him the good ones =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...