Thursday, August 11, 2011

Book Review: Spellbound

By: Cara Lynn Shultz
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date:  June 24, 2011
Pages: 324
Source: NetGalley

What's a girl to do when meeting The One means she's cursed to die a horrible death?

Life hasn't been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Connor, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she's irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can't stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma's been having the oddest dreams: visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
If you read the blurb about this book, you would think that this is a dark brooding book. It's not at all, despite how tragic Emma's life has been, its actually really funny and cute. Unrealistic, but in the best way possible! The best word I can use to describe it is lighthearted, not something to take serious, just something to sit back, relax, and enjoy.... And enjoy it, I did!

Be warned, it does take a while to get into, it wasn't until around 100 pages that I really became invested. But it was almost like it did a reverse, in the beginning I had to force myself a bit to continue, in the end I couldn't put it down. Next thing you know I look at the clock and its way late for me to even be awake, but I just wanted to keep reading about Emma and Brendan.

You are probably wondering what could have caused such a switch in attitude, why did I have trouble getting into it? I think in the beginning the characters where very one dimensional. Queen Bee is a bitch, jock is a jerk, weird girl is a witch, CLICHES GALORE. Once the romance between Emma and Brendan (REALLY LIKED THEM 2GETHER) began, and I got into how funny the book was I was able to let it go, this was not meant to be a serious or deep book. And while the characters may not be DEEP, Cara does an awesome job with being true to how teenagers really are. The slang, the sarcasm, the rivalries it was all spot on!
My Review in a Tweet: 
I REALLY liked the book, and I believe its a stand alone which is definitely great if your looking for one book to just cast a spell on you for a night or two ;)

Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 3/5
Characters: 4/5

Similar Titles:
Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)StarcrossedDie for Me (Revenants)
similar feeling type romances

Other Reviews:
Buy the book here!
**commissions earned from sales are minimal and go towards giveaways!

1 comment:

thelibrarianreads said...

Oh, I liked this one too! I agree that the synopsis makes it seem much more serious but I loved the voice of the main character. Maybe it was just me, but the way she phrased things, her little one liners...I was laughing from the beginning. 

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...