Saturday, August 20, 2011

Book Review: Playing Dirty

Smutty Saturdays!
 Book Smut Level is: LOW;)

Publisher: HQN Books
Release Date:  July 26, 2011
Pages: 384
Source: Netgalley
When old enemies are thrown together, all bets are off…


Way back in high school, golden boy Cade Gallari publicly revealed he'd slept with "fat girl" Ava Spencer to win a bet. Now a decade older and a head turner with her own concierge business, Ava isn't the gullible dreamer she once was— and she plans to prove it when Cade, hotter than ever, breezes back into town with an offer she can't refuse.

A documentary film producer, Cade is shooting a movie about the mysterious mansion Ava inherited. And he wants her as his personal concierge. She's certainly professional enough to be at his beck and call without giving him everything he wants. Like another shot at having her in his bed. But Ava doesn't count on Cade's determination. Because he's never gotten over her— and he's not above playing dirty to score a second chance at a red–hot future…

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
As soon as I saw the summary of the book I knew I wanted to read it. I had a similar (not really but sort of) experience in high school and funnily enough ran into the guy at a bar recently, so I really empathized with Ava's character. I thought that part of the story was really realistic, about how something like that stays with you, but eventually you really DO get over it. I really liked Cade as well, I really think he grew up and became something better than that high school jerk he once was.

This was definitely a romantic and sweet book, with some sexy mixed in. My only complaint was that the storyline felt steady, as in one level... what should have been a climax (no pun intended) fell flat. In story writing, there is the setup (executed perfectly), the confrontation (which started off well), and the resolution (which left me unsatisfied). And the sexy scenes where good, but nothing out for this world, in fact they ended rather quickly.

If you enjoy a good lighthearted, sweet, contemporary romance... this is the book for you!
My Review in a Tweet: 
Sometimes you just need to play a little dirty...The perfect revenge/love story for that 'fat' girl in all of us!

Ratings:
Plot: 3/5
Writing Style: 3/5
Uniqueness: 3/5
Characters: 5/5


Buy the book here!
**commissions earned from sales are minimal and go towards giveaways!

3 comments:

Jacinda @ Reading Housewives said...

No pun intended! Be honest...you wanted that pun! haha! :) Great review Yani :) 

Yani said...

LOL I really didn't at first and then when I was re-reading it I was like "HA! that's funny"

Bookish Brunette said...

I LOVE Susan Anderson... She's an addiction on mine! I have this from NetGalley, I need to read it!

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...