Thursday, August 4, 2011

Book Review: Glow

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Release Date:  September 27, 2011
Pages: 320
Source: ARC 

Thank you St. Martin's!

What if you were bound for a new world, about to pledge your life to someone you'd been promised to since birth, and one unexpected violent attack made survival—not love—the issue?

Out in the murky nebula lurks an unseen enemy: the New Horizon. On its way to populate a distant planet in the wake of Earth's collapse, the ship's crew has been unable to conceive a generation to continue its mission. They need young girls desperately, or their zealous leader's efforts will fail. Onboard their sister ship, the Empyrean, the unsuspecting families don't know an attack is being mounted that could claim the most important among them...

Fifteen-year-old Waverly is part of the first generation to be successfully conceived in deep space; she was born on the Empyrean, and the large farming vessel is all she knows. Her concerns are those of any teenager—until Kieran Alden proposes to her. The handsome captain-to-be has everything Waverly could ever want in a husband, and with the pressure to start having children, everyone is sure he's the best choice. Except for Waverly, who wants more from life than marriage—and is secretly intrigued by the shy, darkly brilliant Seth.

But when the Empyrean faces sudden attack by their assumed allies, they quickly find out that the enemies aren't all from the outside.

Glow is the most riveting series debut since The Hunger Games, and promises to thrill and challenge readers of all ages.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
Glow left me outside in and inside out. They aren't kidding in the book description when they compare the book to Hunger Games. I am a big YA reader, but I will not lie, most of the time the thing that draws me to the books is the romance. Rhe romance here is a side story, like in the Hunger Games, and the real story is survival. And like the Hunger Games, I REALLY enjoyed this book.

In the beginning we meet the two main characters, from whose view the story is told, Kieran and Waverly. They are cute couple, but are obsessed with labeling who the "best" person to be in a relationship with is. At first this threw me off, but then I realized life in space with such few peers must be difficult, and its the survival instinct to find and "mate" with "the best." You can tell there are some strong feelings between these two, but before we see too much of them together, their ship is attacked and they are separated. Both must do all they can to survive.

I didn't read the summary before starting the book and I was surprised by how deep this book is. You don't know who is good or evil, who to trust and who to love, and when you finally think the right person is the "right" person, you are thrown for a loop once again. Labels mean nothing. Good intentions don't lead to good actions, and vice-versa.

I read this book fairly quickly and I enjoyed every second of it. Excited to see what Amy will bring with the next book.
My Review in a Tweet: 
A tale about survival, deceit, and humanity, told from deep space. It's an adventure comparable to Across the Universe and Hunger Games. I couldn't help but write a GLOWing review of how much I liked it!

Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 3/5
Characters: 4/5

Similar Titles:
Across the UniverseThe Hunger Games
Other Reviews:
Can't find many reviews on this book, maybe more closer to release date...
    Buy the book here!
    **commissions earned from sales are minimal and go towards giveaways!

    4 comments:

    Belle's Bookshelf said...

    Great review - you've made me totally want to read this now! High praise, I'm intrigued.

    Irresistiblereads said...

    I enjoyed this too!  It was definitely a heart-stopping read.  And I am a huge romance fan too and didn't mind it on the side :)

    AliyaPM said...

    Great review! I cannot wait to get this book. It was actually my WoW pick yesterday. Everything about it sounds amazing. Plus, I love the cover!

    Mrs_laura_koehler said...

    I really wanted to read this book after you told me how much you liked it. Now i want to read it even more. Great review Yani, but now your making me yern for it even more :)

    Post a Comment

    Leave a message at the beep.
    BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...