Thursday, April 14, 2011

Review: Shade

Book: Shade
Author: Jeri Smith-Ready
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: May 4, 2010
Pages: 309
Source: My Kindle
Date Read: April 7, 2011


Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart. 


Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.


Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone. Well, sort of. 


Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan's violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn't help that Aura's new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart...and clues to the secret of the Shift.
Yani's Analysis:
I started this blog last December, but before that I was so busy with school that I wasn't really reading many blogs either. So I guess around that time the world was buzzing about this book, and oblivious me didn't know anything about it until I got an ARC copy of Shift (book 2). With so many great books in my reading pile I put the ARC aside and thought to myself, "if I don't get to it that's okay." NO definitely not okay!! I am so glad my twitter pals where talking about this book, because it made me purchase a copy from Amazon and start reading it right away. And once I started I couldn't stop!

If you are a fan of the mediator series, like I am, you will enjoy this book. It has a lot of the same elements such as the mystery behind the powers that allow to see ghosts. But while Meg's books are all about the character building, Jeri series also has a lot of world building as well. It has a different premise than most ghost books I have read, the fact that there was an even "The Shift" that causes not just one but a the entire population after said event to see ghosts it intriguing.

And I loved Aura and the two boys she was torn between. Sometimes in these love triangle situations you just want to hit the person over the head and scream PICK ONE!! But Aura, she never gets annoying, you understand where she is coming from. It is hard to move on with the past staring you in the face. Also, in the mediator series I was a big Jesse (the ghost) fan, so obviously I connected with Logan. But Zachary was just such a sweet guy. I was torn, so I could see how Aura could be torn too.

I really LOVED this book and Shift even more, but I will get to that later. I highly recommend if you like mystery, paranormal, and amazing reads!!

Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5

Similar Titles:
Shadowland (The Mediator, Book 1)Ninth Key (The Mediator, Book 2)Haunted (The Mediator, Book 5)The Mediator #6: Twilight

Memorable Quotes:

"We had lost forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...