Friday, May 13, 2011

Book Review : Wolfsbane

Book: Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Date Published: July 26, 2011
Pages: 400
Source: ARC Tour
Date Read: May 8, 2011

This thrilling sequel to the much-talked-about Nightshade begins just where it ended–Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemy, and she's certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer–one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack–and the man–she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive.
Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:

Do not read without reading Nightshade first, unless you want to be spoiled!

I am a huge fan of Nightshade. I love Calla I love Ren, and I love the world building with the turmoil of the guardian/searchers/keepers. And with this book I love them all even more! Even Shay! I have divided this post into sections about what stood out to me the most in this book, I won’t talk too much about plot because I don’t want to give anything away. And trust me it gets really good!

Writing:

My favorite thing about the series is Andrea’s writing. She doesn’t hold back the cuss words or the sexual stuff it pertains to the story. She is a sex positive writer (see what that means here ) Some people may have problems with the cuss words, but if a guy is angry at a girl he doesn’t particularly like, of course he is going to call her a bitch. No matter how degrading that is, it is what really happens, especially in a time of extreme emotional anger and Andrea really understands that.

Also, being that this is the second book in the series, the reader may have forgotten some important parts of the first book. Andrea does a great job writing it into the story without boring the reader or being too detailed.

Team Ren vs Team Shay:

Calla is still unsure where her heart lies. Although she gave up everything to be with Shay she is still thinking about Ren (Yes!). I am a totally Team Ren girl, but I gotta say that Shay really grew on me in this book. He is not longer the helpless human we first met. He is a guardian inside and out and will do anything for Calla.

My heart is torn like hers, because in the end I wish she could choose them both... Only time will tell.

Worldbuilding/Action:

There was sooooo much new information and new characters and while I loved them all, it was a bit overwhelming. So much so that it did take me a while to read this book. It might be because of the book high I was on after reading Divergent or the fact there was so much new backstory and the plot was moving really quickly that this is probably the lonest it has taken me to read a book I was dying to read.

I really loved this book, and while I debated between giving it a five or four star rating, I picked five because I really couldn’t see the book being any other way. I am even more excited to see where this is going with all the new information and new characters that I am as invested in as the original ones.

Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5

Similar Titles:
ParanormalcyFirelight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...