Monday, May 2, 2011

Book Review : Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress

Book: Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress
Author: Tina Ferraro
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Date Published: March 13, 2007
Pages: 240
Source: my bookshelf
Date Re-Read: April 19, 2011

Sophomore year, Nicolette Antonovich was dumped two days before prom by the hottest guy at school. As a result, she became the proud owner of one unworn, perfectly magical pink vintage dress. But Nic is determined to put that night behind her for good. 

She's a junior now— older, wiser, and completely overwhelmed by a new set of problems: (1) The bank's ready to foreclose on her childhood home. (2) Her father's too busy with his "replacement" daughter to care. (3) Her best friend's brother is an eternal thorn in her side. (4) Her best friend isn't exactly the rose attached to that thorn. (5) Rumors are flying around school that could get her kicked off the volleyball team, which would (6) ruin all chances of a college scholarship. (7) She still likes the boy who dumped her in the first place. (8) And what in the world do you do with an unworn prom dress, anyway? Strangely, it's getting to the bottom of this last dilemma that just might hold the answer to all Nic's problems.
Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
I read this book when it first came out and it instantly became one of my favorite happy reads. I have read it so many times I already know the page numbers of a few of my favorite scenes. {48, 67, 72, 101-129 and 194} This book seriously gives me butterflies. It is the epitome of my favorite type of easy, fun, beachy read.

Let me tell you what I love about his book:
  1. Nic. I love that she is young, but not too young (if you understand what I mean). She is me (or like me) when I was a teen, always trying to do what’s best but never really understanding what that is. She is sporty and tough, but like every girl still pictures her perfect prom with the perfect boy and the perfect dress. The one that makes you look at yourself and just go wow.
  2. Supporting Cast. This book has great secondary characters, there are a lot of them, but they are so well developed for such a short book. Jared, Rascal, her best friend Alison are awesome, funny, and so real. I love the manly rivalry Jared and Rascal have going on I can pretty much picture their grunts and cocky faces in my head. And Alison reminds me so much of my best friend with her tough love act.
  3. Emotional. Yes this is a super happy, light, and funny read, but Tina still manages to incorporate the emotional struggle Nic has going on with her father and her “replacement” sister.
  4. The list. The actual list of Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress is hilarious! And the last number was just heartwarming. Kind of reminds me of David Letterman’s Top Ten with the wacky, absurd, and sarcastic comments. {Please Read #8)
What can I say other than I love this book! While my reading tastes have matured, this book never fails to put a smile on my face and warmth in my chest.

Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5

Similar Titles:
How to Hook a HottieThe ABC's of Kissing Boys

Memorable Quotes:
"Yeah Rascal," I said, my thoughts racing, "you're the coolest guy I know. But Jared?" I said, forcing a smug smile. "He's the hottest."

Look out for out interview with Tina on May 31, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...