Sunday, May 29, 2011

Book Review : Paradise

Book: Paradise
Author: Jill S. Alexander
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Date Published: July 5, 2011
Pages: 256
Source: ARC Tour
Date Read: May 16, 2011


Paisley Tillery is the drummer for a country rock band. If they can make it to the stage at the Texapalooza music fest, then Paisley will be closer to her dream of a career in music and a ticket out of her small Texas town.

Drumming and music are what Paisley has always wanted. Until the band gets a new lead singer, the boy from Paradise, Texas. With Paradise in her life, what Paisley wants, and what she needs, complicate her dreams coming true.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
Music. Country. Kick-ass drummer girls. Murse (Male Purse) wearing accordion players... well that one doesn't sound as great but let me tell you, it is! If you have read a reiew for this book already you will have seen many people were upset by the ending, and while I did find it shocking and ________ (I am not going to write the other feeling as you will then have clues as to what happens), I understood where it came into play for the story.

I loved this book. So different than other stories and plots, yet at the same time sharing that common message of growing up and learning to find yourself. And that is what the amazing Paisley is trying to do. She is down to earth, chill lover of music type... I just want to be best friends with her and go to listen to her band play. They were awesome. I could literally feel the music coming off the pages!!

The setting was amazing too. Although I am a city girl, I could totally imagine and picture her town -the barn parties and the rodeos- and it just made me want to drive up to Texas and visit all these cool places.

Best part of story = Paradise. He was not your typical band god that would make you swoon, yet he found a way to do that anyways. I mean seriously with a name like Gabriela (which is not really that common with Hispanics, I would know) and the fact that her carries a murse and plays an accordion, I would think total geek! But his self confidence exudes, even through the papers, and I can see why Paisley can't help but be attracted to him.

Again, despite the shocking ending, I really loved this book and even though I wish it didn't end the way it did, I can see why its important to the story. Still WHY? WHY?

Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 5/5
Characters: 5/5

Similar Titles:
Lovestruck SummerJust ListenGuitar Girl

Memorable Quotes:
"I reached into my back pocket. Pulled out my drumsticks. I tossed one into my left hand and twirled the other by my side. Just to let him know I was more than eye candy and the role of band badass was taken." Paisley

1 comment:

jill s alexander said...

Wowza!  Thanks so much for reading and reviewing!

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...