Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Review : What Happened to Goodbye

Book: What Happened to Goodbye
Author: Sarah Dessen
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group
Date Published: May 10, 2011
Pages: 416
Source: Bookshelf
Date Read: May 10, 2011

In the past two years, Mclean Sweet has moved four times. At each stop, she assumes a new persona, but it never quite works. Whether she's an effervescent cheerleader or an intense drama queen, nothing can permanently dispel the turmoil and rage at her mother since her parents' divorce. Sarah Dessen's novel about a teenager and her restaurant manager father captures the vulnerability that young people often experience after the dissolution of their family. A compelling story; strong characterization; and with a touch of romance.
Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
I have been really excited to read this book for a while. I just love Dessen! I got even more excited to read it after reading all the Sarah Dessen posts this week. It reminded me how much I love Dessen boys, so I was especially excited to meet a new one =)

This book, like all her books, is a beautiful story about a confused girl. McLean doesn’t know who she is. Ever since her parents spilt, after a huge scandal, she became a different person each time she moved. Beth, Lizbet, Liz... each name came with new traits and hobbies, drama queen, joiner, cheerleader. She hasn’t been McLean in over two years and for the first time in a while she actually wonder’s who McLean is?

And there is a boy who tries to help her do that, Dave. While other stories have more involvement around the boy, this one was more about McLean and her relationship to her family. Her relationship with her Mom is a tough one. And I totally feel for her, her anger and her pain. And while I was disappointed with the romantic aspect of this story, the family one was beyond superb.

I loved the mention of old characters. And I especially loved the secondary characters in this story. Deb was my favorite, full of surprises. My favorite thing about Sarah’s work is her quotes and her words. This is a great one about Deb...

“Can I tell you something?” Dave whispered to me. “I love Deb. She’s a total freak. And I mean that in a good way.”

“I know,” I said. “Everyday she kind of blows my mind.”

A story about finding yourself and growing up, What Happened to Goodbye is yet another great novel by Sarah Dessen. While its not my favorite, I laughed, I cried, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself reading it.

Sorry if this review is a little jumpy, it was hard to organize my thoughts on this one.
Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 3/5
Characters: 4/5

Similar Titles:
Something, MaybeBloomAlong for the RideLock and Key

Memorable Quotes:

“He is something,” I replied...
“Well everyone is.”
Everyone is something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...