Saturday, July 9, 2011

Book Review : The Taming of the Rake

It's time for my new meme... 
Smutty Saturdays!

Book Smut Level is: MEDIUM ;)


Publisher: HQN Books (July 26th 2011)
Date Read: June 4, 2011
Pages: 384
Source: NetGalley

Meet the Blackthorn brothers— Three unrepentant scoundrels infamous for being mad, bad and perilous to love.

Charming, wealthy and wickedly handsome, Oliver "Beau" Blackthorn has it all…except revenge on the enemy he can't forget. Now the opportunity for retribution has fallen into his hands. But his success hinges on Lady Chelsea Mills–Beckman—the one woman with the power to distract him from his quest.

Desperate to escape her family's control, Lady Chelsea seizes the chance to run off with the notorious eldest Blackthorn brother, knowing she's only a pawn in his game. But as Beau draws her deep into a world of intrigue, danger and explosive passion, does she dare hope he'll choose love over vengeance?

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
Of all the romance novels, I must say the historical genre is my favorite. Thanks to Isa at BookSoulmates, I have been reading many of these lately. And yes they do all follow some general guidelines, such as: the hero is usually dashing, brooding, and opposed to marriage and there is so much tension and stolen moments until the hero and heroine REALLY get together. Still, they are all so different.

In The Taming of the Rake, our hero is dashing, brooding, and opposed to marriage (SURPRISE) but unlike other story lines, there is not as much "does he, does she love me?." It really is a ROMANCE novel, they build a friendship, a trust, a loving union. They have conversations and yes the kisses are forbidden and hot, but there are also many sweet and tender moments as well. AND there is stories and mysteries, outside of the romantic plot line, that just kept me reading it all in one sitting!

Also, can I just say YAY for independent girls! Chelsea is one fierce woman. I also really enjoyed seeing Beau, before he became a "rake," though he is really one of the tamest rakes I have read about. I loved them together, seriously one of my favorites.

This story is one of the most realistic historical fiction romances I have read, in the romance aspect and with the old language... which I will admit threw me off a little at first. But I can't describe to you how much I liked this book, so to sum it up....
My Review in a Tweet: Kasey Michael's story had me tripping, falling head over heels in love with not only Beau but the whole Blackborn family. Definitely some of my favorite rakes and I can't wait to read more about them!

Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5


Similar Titles:
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

Buy the book here!

2 comments:

Jacinda @ Reading Housewives said...

I love the graphic!!! So cute! And a great review! I love anything historical as well! 

Jess @ Gone with the Words said...

Haha, I love this!! Smuty Saturdays...lol Great review! I think I may have this one for review as well...would have to check the super long master review list. lol

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...