Thursday, July 14, 2011

Book Review: The Future of Us

Publisher: Razorbill

Release Date:  November 21, 2011
Pages: 309
Source: ARC

It's 1996, and less than half of all American high school students have ever used the Internet.

Emma just got her first computer and an America Online CD-ROM.

Josh is her best friend. They power up and log on--and discover themselves on Facebook, fifteen years in the future.

Everybody wonders what their Destiny will be. Josh and Emma are about to find out.

Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
I was really excited to receive an early copy of this book because it's is going to be a movie and also because it has one of the most interesting premise (premises?) of all the upcoming 2011 books. I am so glad it did not disappoint!

First off, these authors are amazing! I have read all of their works and really enjoy their writing styles. So combine them and you get such a genuine real insightful characters, you can't help but love.

Second, I freaking LOVED all the 90's references. Dave Matthews, discmans, AOL, Dial-up all these things warmed my heart and took me to that place when they all felt so new to me. And then when they would bring up 2011 current trends: Glee, Netflix, Harry Potter... the reactions of the characters where too funny! Example future Emma wrote some status about Glee and Netflix, current Emma says:
"I have no idea what I'm talking about, but if Netflix and Glee equals my life, I'm hoping these are good things."
Third, I really liked Emma and Josh next door neighbor/best friend thing that had going on and how feeling complicated it. At times I wanted to slap Emma for being so dense, but some people really are scared of changes and I believe Emma is that type. Josh is so sweet and I so wish I had a next door neighbor like him growing up.

I recommend this book to ALL contemp young adult fiction fans, whether you grew up in the 90s or not, I think you would really enjoy this book!
My Review in a Tweet: 
The Future of Us is Laugh Out Loud funny and reminiscent of so many of my favorite childhood memories/items. Like being transported back in time and seeing every thing with new eyes. It's about learning that we can't control the future, only ourselves. *this would be a long tweet :-)

Ratings:
Plot: 5/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 5/5
Characters: 5/5

Memorable Quotes:
"Yes, it feels great to plan your life when you believe everything can turn out fine. But what about when you're shown, again and again, how little control you have over anything? No matter what I try to do to fix my future, it doesn't work."

Similar Titles:
I love Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why and Carolyn Mackler's books are all very enjoyable! Definitely check them out!

Other Reviews:
Buy the book here!
**commissions earned from sales are minimal and go towards giveaways!

6 comments:

Two Readers Reviews said...

This sounds seriously amazing. I agree that that is a totally interesting premise! I can't wait to read it. Great review!

Bookish Brunette said...

Okay- I need this NOW!!! How did I not know of this book???

Jacinda @ Reading Housewives said...

YAY! I have this! I'm looking forward to reading it now! I'm sure I'll love the 90's references! Great review Yani!

Laura said...

Ah! You're so lucky to read it! I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on it.

lisa said...

eep! i can't wait! i love your extra biz on the bottom of the review.

Ashley said...

This book sounds SO fantastic! Like, seriously, SO amazing! I LOVE the idea behind this book and have a feeling I'd be having lots of Jr. High/HS flashbacks too! (Like today, when BackStreet Boys came on the radio! O_o Hello middle school! :P)

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...