Saturday, February 12, 2011

Review: Unearthly

Book: Unearthly (Book 1)
Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 1/4/2011
Pages: 435 pages
Source: Bought
Date Read: 2/10/11

Summary:

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.


Yani's Analysis:
When I first heard about this book, I wasn't interested in it. I had read the inscription in the back of the book and it didn't appeal to me. Finding a boy in the woods? What? Then all these bloggers started coming out with these rave reviews. So I read it, and I just have to say this is how you do a paranormal book about angels.

I didn't really get into it until I was a couple of chapters in. In fact, I almost gave up on it -see discussion on DNF here- but I decided to keep reading it and I am glad I did.

What kept me really interested in the book was not the romance or the "will they won't they". I was actually really interested in the lore of the angel world. What is their purpose? What are Clara's mother's secrets? And so on and so on. This is the first time that the romance wasn't what kept me reading. Although, I did love the chemistry between the characters, this book was about so much more than that. It is mystical, magical, and marvelous... I like alliteration.

Is this one of my favorite books? No. Did it leave me wanting more? Heck Yes! Can't wait to see what comes next in Hallowed the official title of book two. A stunning debut by Cynthia Hand.  

Ratings:

Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5

Similar Titles:
Hush, Hush

Other Memorable Quotes:
"Sam: I always thought you were the most beautiful of all the Nephilim.
Meg: That's ironic because I always thought you were the ugliest of all the angels."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...