Sunday, February 20, 2011

Review: Here Lies Bridget

Book: Here Lies Bridget
Author: Paige Harbison

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: 1/18/2011
Pages: 224
Source: Netgalley
Date Read: 2/12/2011

Summary:
Bridget Duke is the uncontested ruler of her school. The meanest girl with the biggest secret insecurities. And when new girl Anna Judge arrives, things start to fall apart for Bridget: friends don't worship as attentively, teachers don't fall for her wide-eyed "who me?" look, expulsion looms ahead and the one boy she's always loved—Liam Ward—can barely even look at her anymore.

When a desperate Bridget drives too fast and crashes her car, she ends up in limbo, facing everyone she's wronged and walking a few uncomfortable miles in their shoes. Now she has only one chance to make a last impression. Though she might end up dead, she has one last shot at redemption and the chance to right the wrongs she's inflicted on the people who mean the most to her.

And Bridget's about to learn that, sometimes, saying you're sorry just isn't enough….


Yani's Analysis:
Bridget is a really spoiled brat - I wish I could use another word for her, but I keep my online writing clean - who never does anything wrong and nothing is ever her fault. Even when she knows something is wrong, she continue to do it. She claims she is transparent, that people can she how she is feeling through her facial reactions. Well others may see her clearly, but she clearly doesn't. She never thinks of others and is beyond selfish. And although I love these second chances stories, I feel the author went overboard with the character making her almost irredeemable in the reader's eyes.

What kept me reading was Liam and the writing. Harbison is the daughter of another writer and you can tell. Her writing style is quirky and funny; she is really in tune with the YA generation. I like how Bridget talks to the reader, as if in a conversation. But no matter how much I enjoyed the writing style and quality, having a main character I couldn't connect to dampened this book for me.

A lot of people are going to compare this book to Before I Fall, but they are very different. In BIF, you don't see so much of the main character back-story, more of the process of change she goes through. What I liked about that was it was very realistic. The main character tries to be nice and that still doesn't change the outcome of her life. It was about being a better person, unselfish. In this book, her change came from a superficial place. She didn't like how people saw her and although she was in their shoes (literally), she never understood them.

Maybe its because I liked Before I Fall that I couldn't see this book with the proper eyes, but it was still an interesting read.

Ratings:
Plot: 3/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Uniqueness: 3/5
Characters: 2/5

Similar Titles:
Before I Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...