Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Review: Head Games


Book: Head Games (Pretty Tough #3)
Author: Keri Mikulski
Publisher: Penguin Books
Release Date: 1/6/2011
Pages: 284
Source: Own
Date Read: 2/1/2011


From Amazon:
Taylor is calm, cool, collected, and ferocious on the basketball court. A total all-star. Not so much in real life. She may be tall, gorgeous, and an incredible catch, but just try telling her that!

And lately, Taylor doesn't know which way to turn: The summer showcase game is almost here. Her BFF Hannah roped her into a fashion show (eek!). And she can't decide between Zach - the super-popular, super-tall, super-off-limits basketball dynamo and Matt - the sweet boy from her math class (who may just be dating her BFF's older sister). It's enough to make any girl's head spin!

Can Taylor strike a pose, land the boy of her dreams, and win the game?


Yani's Analysis:
First, I have to say I loved the first two in the Pretty Tough series. They are about sporty girls, who are still popular and cute, that get the guy. The series doesn’t have to be read in order, because the books can be standalone books, but some of the characters do make cameos in the other books. The author of the first two Liz Tigelaar is really in tune with teenagers. She is an amazing writer. (She was also the producer/writer for the show Life Unexpected)

Even though Pretty Tough series is aimed more at the young of young adult -and not twenty-somethings like me- I can usually relate to the girls in the story. After all, I did only graduate high school four years ago. So because of my love for the first two books and my intellectual youth, I was very excited to see a third Pretty Tough book coming out, even if it wasn’t the same author. However, with Head Games I just couldn’t relate. I don’t know if it’s that the generations have changed so much – I mean bratz was mentioned once, when I was little there was only Barbie – or the sports references where over my head, but it took me a while to connect with Taylor. This is supposed to be a fun light read, I don’t like spending too much time forcing myself to sit there and do it,

Overall, there were some cute moments, but then there were times I wanted to scream at the characters. I mean do they even understand what being in a relationship is? If you are into the younger high school period or first crushes then you might want to give this book a try.

Ratings: 
Plot: 2/5
Writing Style: 3/5
Uniqueness: 1/5
Characters: 2/5

Similar Titles:
·      The Boyfriend Game by Stephie Davis
o   Highly recommended- younger high school students and first crushes, mixed in with sports
·      Pretty Tough by Liz Tigelaar
·      Playing with Boys (Pretty Tough #2) by Liz Tigelaar
·      Smart Boys and Fast Girls by Stephie Davis

Memorable Quotes:
none


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...