Top Ten Favorite Sports Movies
by Kody Kelpinger
I am not a sports person. Not really. I’ve never been athletic, I’ve never enjoyed watching games on TV, and I’ve never totally understood the rules of most popular sports. But I have learned this – I do love sports movies. So when Yani gave me the option of making a sports movies tens list, I could not refuse! So here goes. My Top Ten Favorite Sports Movies.
10. Remember the Titans – a classic. Everyone loves this one. If they don’t . . . I just don’t understand them.
9. Angels in the Out Field – I was OBSESSED with this movie as a kid. I mean, OBSESSED. I watched it over and over, and I still get chills when I see certain scenes.
8. A League of Their Own – Talk about girl power! This story is amazing. A group of women playing baseball during the war. Its so interesting how times have changed. Also? Madonna is in this movie. MADONNA. Need I say more?
7. Radio - I’m not sure if this counts as a sports movie or not, but football plays a big roll in it either way, so I vote yes. It is just such a touching, wonderful movie.
6. Jerry McGuire - “You complete me.” –melts- Oh man, oh man, I looooooove this movie. Tom Cruise is so great in it, and there are so many quotable moments! LOVE!
5. Friday Night Lights – Don’t shoot me, but I’ve never seen the TV show. That said, I adore the movie! It broke my heart and put it back together again. So wonderful!
4. Bring It On – Say what you want, but cheerleading is totally a sport. And the first movie in this franchise was pretty awesome. Eliza Dushku is my girl crush thanks to this fab flick!
3. Space Jam – Okay, just because the main characters are cartoons doesn’t mean this isn’t a killer sports movie! When I was a kid, iw anted to be Lola Bunny so bad. I wanted to play basketball the way she could. And I wanted to be pink like her!
2. We Are Marshall - Yes, it made me cry. That’s a huge accomplishment in and of itself. So it HAD to make the top ten!
1. Bend it Like Beckham – My absolute favorite sports movie. I adore soccer and even more so I adore British people. Therefore, this film was MADE FOR ME! So, so great!