Thursday, September 8, 2011

Book Review : Shut Out



Book: Shut Out
Author: Kody Keplinger
Publisher: Poppy
Date Published: September 5, 2011
Pages: 273
Source: ARC
Date Read: June 7, 2011

Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part,Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention.

Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. And Lissa never sees her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling, coming.
Summary Taken from Goodreads
Yani's Review:
I have yet to write a review on my blog for Kody’s first book- The D.U.F.F.- but just as a side note… I ADORE that book and its one of my favorites. The type of book I make time to re-read on top of my busy school/work/ reviewing schedule. And while in the end I did enjoy Shut Out, The D.U.F.F. was so much more than a story to me.

Written in the same Kody style, Shut Out is funny and real. It deals with real issues about girls, sex, self-image, and peer pressure and the pressures society places on both boys and girls. It deals mostly with the girls, but still I liked that all these issues were brought up so openly. The girls learned that no matter what they felt, they shouldn’t be ashamed of it as long as they were true to themselves.

I really liked that Lissa’s boyfriend had some redeeming qualities, because sometimes I feel like what type of girls are they if they are with a guy that is such a blatant asshole. And I loved loved loved Cash Sterling, though I wish he was a little more developed.
My Review in a Tweet: I wish this book was around when I was a teenager, so I could have just accepted my beliefs and myself. Like Kody's other work, this is an amazing open discussion about sex and image. Don't shut this book out!
Ratings:
Plot: 4/5
Writing Style: 5/5
Uniqueness: 4/5
Characters: 5/5

Memorable Quotes:
"Being ashamed  of what you want or how you feel is pointless, and letting anyone else make you feel ashamed is a waste."

Similar Titles:
The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
Other Reviews:

4 comments:

Cynthia A. said...

lol, I posted my review for this one today too. I definitely agree with everything, I wish I had these type of books as a teenager. I love that Kody is so open about adding sexuality and all those hard topics of peer pressure in her stories. Great review! =)

Lindsi said...

I haven't read The DUFF or Shut Out, but I got Shut Out at BEA. Do I need to read one before the other, or are they separate books? I haven't read a contemporary book in awhile, so I was thinking about reading Shut Out soon :-)

Yani said...

Definitely read it soon. And they are not related so you can read one without the other

Dfordarla said...

Great memorable quote.

I need to read Shut Out soon. I also need to read The DUFF.

Greet review.

Post a Comment

Leave a message at the beep.
BBBBEEEEEEEEEEEPPPP

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...